Sunday, April 14, 2013

The Lofty-Dream-Goal-of-Excellence

Welcome, team! I have made an awful lot of progress since I pitched a fit last week about my plateau. You were all very kind and reminded me that having a plateau is normal and I am working really hard. With your help, I realized that pitching a fit was not a good way to break a plateau-- only really pushing myself at the gym could possibly break a plateau. So I did. I tried some new machines (I got THE MOST spectacular bruise from a run-in with a stride-runner machine), pushed myself to lift heavier weights, spent that extra 5 minutes on the cross-trainer, went up one level of incline on the treadmill.

This is going to be me someday. Hiking with trees and T.S. Eliot.

And guess what happened? My plateau was crushed. As a matter of fact-- as is fairly typical for me, my weight has plummeted the last few days. I expect it to even out again fairly soon, but last week I lost 3.5 pounds. I've lost 17 pounds since March 3.

On this chart you can see the plateau of horror and the plunge of wonder.

I suppose now is a grand time to talk about goals-- this would be an easy time to quit. It really would. I look better, I feel better, people have noticed that I've thinned up a little. I made a good dent. But guess what? I have habits now. I like to go to the gym. I love my fitbit-- and I actually think my stomach shrunk-- when I measure out 56 grams of pasta and 1/2 cup of sauce and 2 oz of chicken and eat it all at once with a few vegetables-- I am completely stuffed. I'm on a roll, so now is the time to keep goals in mind and keep pushing!

Check it out-- the guy on the right has GREEN hair and all of them have letters for feet!
Clip art is my favorite.

1. Daily Goals/Habits: Wear my fitbit, have a 1000 calorie deficit, move.

2. Weekly Goals/Habits: Go to the gym at least 5 times, go for a 7000 calorie deficit.

3. Short Term Goal/Marker: Lose 25 pounds (9 pounds left until I reach my first milestone-- short term goals are reassessed as they are reached).

4. Long Term Goal/Marker: Make it into a healthy weight range (I am a 25 year old woman, I am 5'6", that means I should weigh less than 155lbs. Nearly 100 pounds).

5. Liz's-Lofty-Dream-Goal-of-Excellence: Half of my starting body weight. I could be at 125.5 and have lost 125.5.

Now, some words about the Lofty-Dream-Goal-of-Excellence: I've never been this small. I don't know if my bones and organs even weigh more than this. I have no idea. I have a very vivid middle school memory of being with 3 friends in a bathroom and weighing ourselves-- the other 12/13-year-old girls weighed between 110-120. I weighed 142. So this really really really is a Lofty-Dream-Goal-of-Excellence. It startles people when I tell them I want to weigh 125 and I have to reassure them that this is merely a Lofty-Dream-Goal-of-Excellence. It would be cool. It's something to strive for. If it happens, cool. If it turns out that my healthiest weight is 150 or 140 or even 130, I'm not going to starve myself for those last few pounds.  This is about health.

See, I put a caduceus so you can see how much about health this is.
I'm really more interested in being healthy and living longer. And getting a Pixie haircut. I think my face shape might change to be more conducive to a Pixie cut. And maybe Michelle Obama arms. FLOTUS has some hot guns, yo.

So, that's what I have for you this Sunday. I also wanted to shout out to all of you who have messaged me either publicly or privately to let me know that you have started a quiet push to being healthier. Many of you have messaged me to tell you that you made a good food choice, that you made it to the gym when you didn't want to (because NO EXCUSES!!!) or that you pushed yourself a little harder than usual. When I started blogging (in February of 2009, the first time I tried to lose weight) I didn't realize that other people might get something out of my struggles and triumphs. I love love love hearing from you. I have tried to reach out to all of you personally, but if for some reason I missed you/yours, please know 3 things:

1: You can do this, and there's no excuse not to.
2: You aren't alone.
3: I am proud of you. You are awesome. This isn't easy and you're doing it anyway.

DANG look at her arms!

Thank you, team, for reading. Someday we'll all go hiking and lift things with our Michelle Obama arms and get Pixie cuts and wear skinny jeans and take ballet lessons together. Or just eat pizza. Whatever healthy folks do, we'll do it together. What's your Lofty-Dream-Goal-of-Excellence?

No comments:

Post a Comment