Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Sometimes This Is Actually Really Hard

You know what, team? I didn't have an awesome day today. My weight went up for the first time since March 15-- and even though I know that weight fluctuations are normal and healthy and part of being, you know, a human person (and especially a human lady person) I somehow was very upset by the fact that I was up to 240 this morning after spending 3 days at 239 flat. Which says to me-- Liz-- you must calm yourself.

Seriously, when Lemurs have to calm you down-- calm the snacks down, dude.

Why was I so cranky?

Because I have been kicking ass and taking names, that's why. I've stayed in my calorie limits, I've exercised every day-- and quite frankly those three days of being at 239 should have added up to a pound down, instead of a pound up, according to my science.

But it isn't my science. It is my body's science and it will do what it wants to do. And it will actually do what is best for me, if I let it.


I often feel more like I am life's lab-- but I guess my body is my lab? C.S. Lewis said that I'm a soul and I have a body, not the other way around so I could be doing science experiments on my own body? I think?

And let's be clear about one thing, I am still down 11 pounds. Which, really, is amazing. But DANG if it isn't hard to have an icky weigh in!

Though I have to admit, probably the real reason I am feeling so feisty is that I accidentally WAY overate at work for lunch-- we got these boxed lunches delivered since we were in a training seminar. And I thought-- yes, these are going to be pretty caloric, but I don't want to be that lady who won't eat the delicious free food she's been given. So I decided, I will eat half of everything in my little box. Half a sandwich, half a tiny bag of chips and half a cookie (I could have probably given away the whole cookie without too much ire-- but I firmly believe in cookies). So, imagine my dismay when I dig up the calories on that particular meal and find that the lunch box is a whopping TWELVE HUNDRED calories!!!

I know, Xibit. 1200 calories is gross. I hear you.

 For those of you joining our broadcast already in progress, that's approximately how many calories I eat in one day. So very thankfully I only ate half of that. But that means I ate half of my day's calories at lunchtime. And considering I already ate my appropriately-sized breakfast (just around 350) That means I left the rest of my day with very little to work with-- or sacrifice my deficit.

This picture is great. Just soak it in. "THE NEWS: BAD NEWS!"
I love it.

Why not just work out harder?  I hear some of you asking. Well, I'll tell you why-- I'm exhausted, that's why. I've worked out every day for the past 7 days and yesterday my body started feeling fatigued instead of sore-- usually a sign that a rest-day is in order. These two things happened simultaneously.

Not my favorite.

So what did I do?

I had some very low-calorie snacks, got my hair did, went to target and got delicious food for other days and kept it all under control.

Because a bad day is not an excuse to give up on my plan.

So... sorry this post is less hilarious and more... self-righteous or something.  I felt like it's important to put out there that sometimes, even though I feel so much better and I know I can continue, this process is really difficult and really stressful.

But there's no excuse not to do it.

Also here's a cute picture of a flower.


4 comments:

  1. Liz, Keep doing what your doing. Your honesty is a true inspiration to a life time dieter who is reforming thanks to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks anonymous friend! I wish you all the best of luck on your journey! :)

      Delete
  2. Liz, keep it up and don't forget, muscle weighs more than fat and weight isn't always the bottom line. Hopefully your clothes are feeling looser and your body fat percentage is going down.
    Nathan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, YES, my clothes are looser and I do feel better-- I just have to keep remembering that the numbers are not what it's really about-- it's more about feeling better and feeling capable :) Hoping you are well!!!

      Delete