Sunday, March 17, 2013

Becoming the Heroine -- The Nerdiest Post Evar.

It's not a secret that I'm a huge nerd. Huge. I love all kinds of things, but I especially love young adult fantasy/scifi literature. I especially love and recommend the following series for anyone 10+.
  • Harry Potter
  • Jercy Jackson and the Olympians (and its friend-series, Heroes of Olympus)
  • Divergent
  • The Hunger Games
  • Leviathan
All of these have one very important thing in common: they have heroes. People who are brave and strong and smart. Who when put into scary and dangerous and wildly important "OMG the world will end" situations, come through and save the day. I love stories like this, especially stories in which the hero is actually a heroine. 

When it comes to something like the Hunger Games-- people in the fandom are always talking about how they would be "District 4," or "District 1"-- what their styles would be, how they would survive. I have never thought about this, because I have always just complacently accepted that if I had to go into an arena and fight to the death with people around my age-- Well, there wouldn't be so much fighting as there would be death. Specifically my death. Specifically very quickly. So I don't like to think about it much for obvious reasons.

I think this picture is inaccurate-- I don't know how I would get up that high in a mountain!!!

I never worried what I would do in the case of a zombie uprising or some kind of apocalypse. I would be dead. I'm one of the useless background characters who gets killed off right away, who never makes it to Camp Half-Blood, who never made it onto the train to the Dauntless compound, who definitely couldn't become a Middie on a royal airship. Even as a proud Hufflepuff, I have to say, I wouldn't have done well in the Battle of Hogwarts. 

Though there is a really hilarious Youtube video with a mean Hufflepuff stereotype. I mean, bad stereotype, HILARIOUS video.
But, (getting to the point!) I read a quote yesterday that I had almost forgotten. I will share it with you now.
DUMBLEDORE, YO.
Do I have the ability to run from a bear right now? No, I would be particularly fatty bear food. Have I chosen the last few weeks to get my butt to the gym and do something about that? Yes. Yes I have. I've lost several inches (calves and forearms-- kind of weird but I'll take it) and 4.5 pounds!
You know you've done well when Rainbow Dash is proud of you!!!
Do I live in a world where the Greek Gods are still alive, or one where the Capitol dictates a horrible slaughter every year? A world where magic is real and I'm a particularly fat muggle?

Yeah, we'll go with that then. :)

Well, except for the particularly fat part, I don't. I live in our world, the regular world. But that doesn't mean I haven't felt like one of the background characters. That I haven't felt like I'm not leading my life to the fullest. I want to be the heroine of my own story. Not a background character. Even in the real world, disasters do happen. I don't want to literally be useless weight if something horrible happens. I want to be a hero.

I can choose to make it so that if I had to run, I could run. If I needed to lift something heavy to save someone I loved or even a stranger, I could do it. Right now, I would be stuck on the sidelines, watching the world happen. I'm not saying I need to be a paramedic or a firefighter, I just want to know that I'm a capable human being, which is not what I feel like right now, even though having those 4.5 pounds off of me does feel prreeettty good. :)

Not for long, team. I'm getting off the bench.

NO EXCUSES.

And with that I'm off to the gym. Thanks for all of your continuing support!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment