Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Day Eight: I'll Always Fight With Pizza.

Good morning internets! It is still dark in the cold, northerly world where I live-- what is THAT!?

Day eight marks one full week since I started my exciting blog-o-venture, and guess what? I'm not weighing myself today! Actually, I am weighing myself today. But I won't be sharing it here. I weigh myself every day, but I'm going to be posting my weight on Mondays. You see, I am accountabilibuddies with my dad (Hi Daddy!), and Monday is weigh-in day. So Mondays, it aaaall goes public! I do feel like I need to face the scale in the morning, every morning, at least for now, but I don't want to stress over what I see.

The goal is to go slowly. Healthy weight loss is 1-2 pounds a week. I drink ridiculous amounts of water and my sleep schedule is often messed up. So really taking my daily weights seriously as far as weight loss goes just gets frustrating. However, I need to see the numbers in the morning so that I go "Holy goodness! I weigh more than 200 pounds! I really need to work it today!"

With that in mind. Let's talk about going slowly and those tiny goals. Let's talk about the things we cannot change. Here is something I know I cannot change about myself. Given the chance, I will always want to eat the entire pizza.
I gotta stop putting pictures of deliciousness on this blog. 
I will probably always have the desire to binge eat.

Here then, lies the question: do I accept that I'm a binge eater? Do I avoid my trigger foods (Burritos, pasta, pizza, donuts, Nilla Wafers, rice crispy bars, skittles the list goes on ad nauseum) forever? Or can I learn moderation? It is possible that someday I'll be able to look at that pizza and say I only want one slice? Or to feel full after one slice? Or to just have the sheer willpower to stop after one slice?

Will I always fight with pizza?

I really, really, really hope not.

For Professional Intentional Eaters or PIEs, this is like a flavor EXPLOSION!
After the last post I got some awesome suggestions for how to learn intentional eating. I think this is going to be really important for me. I am absolutely a distracted eater. Though I profess to LOVE FOOD (and yes, I believe that I do REALLY LOVE FOOD) I don't savor my food. I can't remember the last time I sat and ate food without something or someone else distracting me. The closest I get is eating dinner with Tarver, which is lovely, but we're still talking and planning. Worse yet, sometimes I judge how much I should be eating by how much he's eating. My 180ish pound 6'4" male husband with awesome metabolism and I should NOT eat the same amount of food.

What's your favorite way of being intentional with your food?

1 comment:

  1. Here are a few tips and tricks I have used to good effect:

    1. Use smaller plates/bowls/cups, and put the rest of the pizza out of sight and mind. It's a psychology thing.

    2. Drink two cups (yes, two!) of water before eating. It will fill you up.

    3. Think of your willpower as being finite throughout the day. You need sleep to recharge it. Thus, your willpower is at its least at night. Good to know.

    4. Brush your teeth at night if you are about to binge eat.

    5. Don't eat out of boredom.

    6. Buy expensive food. It will taste better, you will savor it, and you will eat less of it.

    7. Get hubby on board with savoring food while you two eat.

    8. Finally, here's a trick R uses with me that you could use with Tarver if he agrees: pick up something sinful, take a few bites and drop the rest on Tarver to finish for you.

    Hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete