Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Photo Montage with a SURPRISE ENDING!

As we're talking about this blog, I want everybody to get a good idea about what we're dealing with here-- where I've been on my journey and where I hope to go. These pictures may also give some context for the big surprise at the end of the post! A dear friend of ours who was extremely successful in his weight-loss journey put up some "before," pictures earlier today. So, with that in mind, here are a series of before pictures-- not all necessarily bad!

When I was in high school, I was the fat friend. Looking back, my friends were skinny and I was merely overweight. Or maybe we all looked pretty normal and I was just really self-conscious. Who knows? I was seriously convinced I was awful to look at in high school. Let's take this picture from freshman year of undergrad in 2006:
I'm so hideous with all of my curvaceousness! UGH! Eeew!
And compare it further to my senior year of high school, 2005, a picture you'll see again, I'm sure:
I have a collarbone! Holy goodness! 
Aaaaand let's peek at what I looked like at my bachelorette party just two months ago in 2011:
At least me and all of my chins are having a blast!
I could go through all of the years in between and show you differing sizes, but the actual point is that at NONE of these weights was I ever able to run. I didn't exercise besides dancing in the chorus in high school, I for sure didn't exercise in undergrad until my senior year, and I REALLY didn't exercise through my graduate career.

Well, internets...

Tonight I ran for THREE MINUTES.

I know maybe that sounds really stupid and lame, but I'm pretty sure I haven't run since the summer of 2006. A tendon injury in my ankle prevented it the last time I tried to lose weight-- but this time?

Oh. It's on. Brace yourself for 245 pounds of Liz, TREADMILLS. I'm coming for you. I may never ever look like High-School-Skinny-Liz ever again, but that's okay. I'll be healthy. :)

2 comments:

  1. Way to go, Liz! A few words (as usual):

    ~ Though starting to run is fantastic, if your body is pushed too hard, it can cause shin splints or knee problems... I have learned this the hard way. Biking, elliptical training and walking uphill can all be fantastic ways to kick your butt while being kind to your joints. Please ignore this if your body is stronger than mine, because I am an N of 1. Doing strength training can also help your body tolerate running, because you're better supported in your core and beyond.

    ~ In regards to the pizza thing yesterday: making pizza at home can be extremely helpful because you get to regulate each ingredient and their quantities. Some things that I love to do in making my home pizzas a bit healthier: parmesan (light cheese), sharp cheddar (high in flavor=reduced quantity needed). Thinner crusts will be incredibly helpful in reducing calorie count per piece. Banana peppers, jalapenos, turkey pepperoni or ground chicken or turkey can replace other meats, onions, green and red peppers, black or green olives, sauteed spinach, basil and other herbs, etc. can add tons of flavor without being unhealthy. When I can manage a homemade pizza the "right" way, it comes out about 150-170 calories, allowing me 2-3 pieces! :) I take those three, put the rest away, and go as far from my kitchen as possible to enjoy those three. If I want more after that, I chew gum, drink tea or use other distractions until I feel satiated or have moved on to other things.

    Way to go, Liz! You're doing an AMAZING job!

    ReplyDelete