Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Day Seven: Potassium

Good morning, everyone! I want to start by saying thank you for all of the support I received for my post last night about my step class adventure. Knowing so many people support me really really really helps me continue this process!

Today we are on a brand new topic, NUTRITION! Yesterday I wrote all about flailing around at the Y, but I failed to mention that I ate between 8 and 9 150-ish calorie donut holes. This is what I'm talking about. And, in the spirit of honesty and not holding anything back. I ate the first three at my internship meeting with everyone else, I ate the next six or so alone in my car. I ate them really quickly, like I was afraid the people in the next lane were going to judge me.
They were the powder ones-- so dangerous. 
I'm writing this not to make a big scene. I'm writing this because it's the truth of my eating habits. I wrote on the first day about buying burritos while Tarver's at work-- well, it extends to other food too.  I have been tracking my calories and being honest. I have also been trying to portion the things I'm eating. This has gone fairly well. I only went over 2000 calories once in 7 days, and that was yesterday of donut disasters. Here's the fact though, occasionally, when no one is around, I find a food, and I just eat a lot of it. Then I don't tell anyone. Literally, I hide the evidence. Not today. Today I am telling you that I ate 6 donuts in my car.

So this morning, I'm eating a banana :) Just because I ate 9 donuts yesterday does not mean my life is over.

Oh internet, you're such a good listener. <3

2 comments:

  1. Liz, your blog inspired me to start a private website with a young woman I mentor who has put on close to 80 lbs. in the past year! Thanks for that :)

    One thing that I've found to be helpful is to take X amount of a food, remove myself from any place where this extra food is (ie. kitchen) and sit quietly, uninterrupted, while I enjoy it. People (myself included) can often eat when they are high in emotion ("good" and "bad") because it has been reinforced as a calming, pleasant experience. If you are already in a nice, quiet space, the food can be the FOCUS, rather than the supplement to a great TV show. I eat way too quickly, which results in me eating way too much. When I've spent some time actively working at mindful eating, I find myself taking smaller bites, bigger breaks in between them, and being able to stop sooner. It takes a little while, but getting there sure feels good.

    By proclaiming this secret, you have stolen all of its power. You can now transform that into sheer motivation.

    YOU ROCK!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Maureen. The power of food is gone when you acknowledge and reveal the "secret." I can totally relate to this!

    I read a book that helped me, and actually TAUGHT me HOW to eat (you would think I'd have that figured out by now!). It's called "Intuitive Eating" and I highly recommend it. Hopefully this entire link takes you to amazon.com for a review. See what you think.

    http://www.amazon.com/Intuitive-Eating-Revolutionary-Program-Works/dp/0312321236/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1319593033&sr=8-1

    Earlier this year, I noticed that my wife, Natalie, would close her eyes and smell her food before eating it. I couldn't even tell you the last time I did that. I do it a lot now. Taking the time to enjoy eating without distractions (TV, computer, phone, etc) will go a long way to being mindful of what is being eaten, as well as the amount, and the speed. These are all little things I had no idea mattered until now.

    Thanks for sharing! It gets easier, I promise!

    ReplyDelete