Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Happy Day One!

Day One: The Story.

The other day someone asked my how much our cat Seamus weighs. He's a big little man. I have been avoiding the scale since it tipped over 230, so I figured it wouldn't hurt to know where I'm at nowadays. When I picked up Seamus and stepped on the scale the scale beeped right up to 264 pounds. When I put the kitty down, it ticked down to 250 flat. The point of the story isn't that I have a 14-pound cat. It's that I managed to gain SIXTYSOME pounds in graduate school. That's a really lot of pounds.

A few months ago I got tested for diabetes and I'm not pre-diabetic and my blood pressure has always been exactly normal (I'm like a freak of nature, it's always 120/80-- that or I go to lazy doctors and nurses).

Some of you are remembering this talk from almost three years ago. "C'mon, Liz," you might be saying to yourselves, "The blog thing? Again?" To which I say, YEP. The blog thing, again. Even if I didn't make my weight loss goal the last time I did this, I managed to lose almost 30 pounds. Even losing 30 pounds would be really important.

Here's the other thing I think is going to help this time around: Tiny goals, yaaay! You can see my current tiny goals on the right side of the blog, close to the top. I decided to have 3 tiny goals at once. Each goal has a two-week deadline. So, goals from today are up on Nov. 2. The goals live in three categories, Eating, Exercising and Numbers.


  • Eating Goal: Burritos Almost everyone who knows me knows I have a severe weakness for 2000-calorie burritos. Qdoba, pancheros, juanos, it doesn't matter. I eat them much more often than I should and definitely more often than I want to admit. Sometimes I go pick them up to go when my husband is at work and eat them at home, alone, in secret. That's called addictive behavior! IT'S BAD and it STOPS today! Or at least it stops for 2 weeks.
  • Exercising Goal: Walking! The goal here is to start slowly. It's getting chillier outside but that doesn't mean I can't enjoy walks for the next two weeks. This is daily walks. 
  • Numbers Goal: I should explain that a numbers goal will either involve pounds, calories, minutes, heartrate or some other nitty-gritty part of weightloss. This week's number's goal is simply to count calories.


Without further ado, I begin day one of the project. I am asking for your support, your comments, your company on exercising endeavors and that you please be kind :)

6 comments:

  1. Good Luck Liz. I have been trying and trying and still trying. Stay strong. If you get off track just remind your self you don't start over you start where you left off :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Em! It's tough but it has to be done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're awesome Liz! I love the tiny goals idea, keeps you motivated and you won't get bored or too overwhelmed! I'm proud of you girl! Edgewood has a great cross country skiing trail! It's a tough workout but totally amazing! And great to get outside in the winter! :) positive vibes coming your way chickie :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome idea Liz! For me of course this isn't an AGAIN blog, but the first one. I approve your small goals. Also, since the camping trip a few weeks ago I have been terribly slack myself and it is ironic that this morning I decided to get back with the program. I guess great minds think alike. Keep us posted! - Andrew

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Andrew and @Amanda-- Do they rent out CC skis there or should I try to convince my husband to buy me some? :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hahaha! They rent them out :) And snowshoes too!

    ReplyDelete