Saturday, October 22, 2011

Day Four: New Things?

Here's the deal internets! Two of my three goals have been super-successful. I have stayed away from my burrito nemesis AND I have been faithfully tracking my calories on Calorie Counter. However, I have missed two walks. New theory: I'm not a huge fan of walks. I'm never excited to go on a walk. SO, here's the question. Do I push through it and say "tough nuggets, SELF, go on your walk!" or do I find something else to do that sounds more fun or interesting to me? The point is I have to do some moving every day to be a normal, healthy human being. I want this to be about a life-change, not just about weight loss.

Am I doomed to look like this my whole life? 
 I feel like my life will be very different if I find something to DO versus forcing myself to do random exercises?

In reality it's probably a combination of both. I have to find something I like to do, but I won't be able to do that thing every day. Even when I find something I like to do, I need to be able to just go on a long walk or go to the gym on those other days. Honestly I've never really minded going to the gym once I get there, it's just getting there. It's kind of a paradox, though. I've pretty much hated every form of moving since I was like eleven. Am I just naturally a lazybutt? I feel like so many of my experiences with sports or movement have been tinged with being the fat one in the group and feeling very self-conscious.

I think that's one of the biggest things that keeps me in the house-- the getting there is hard. BUT it is what it is so we'll just have to deal with it. I talked to Tarver this morning about maybe getting a YMCA pass since I like to swim/ and the Y is much less full of 90lb 19-year-olds who stare at me like I'm the blob monster from a 1950s horror movie.

Okay so that post got depressing fast! Sorry, team. Let's look on the bright side! I am making progress on two of my goals, and they are important ones. Studies show that a good percentage of people who have had successful life changes have tracked their calories and I have been doing a good job of that. Tracking calories has also prompted me to change my eating habits somewhat. I have been eating less than 2000 calories the past three days, which is a big change from eating a 2000 calorie burrito for lunch :)

Also, for those of you following the rest of my life, yes, my job interview went awesome yesterday. :)

4 comments:

  1. I know exactly how you feel about getting to the gym and - please hold, R is telling me something... ah, OK, she is saying that she has a YMCA membership and will be your gym buddy, and that you two can go to "scary bitches" class. Not sure what that means. Anyway - yeah, getting moving is the hardest part of moving. I agree that you should find something you like and do it. For me it's disc golf. Also, there may be some level of forcing yourself that is good for you. I never used to like lifting weights. Then I hired a trainer to help me stick through it for one year. It was a hard year, but at the end I loved lifting weights, and I still do. The moral of the story is you may have to stick things out for awhile to see if you like them. Try things to make walking (or whatever) more palatable, such as listening to music or NPR or an audiobook on your walks, or going with a friend. Hold on, R is talking again through her toothbrush... ah, yes, she says she's pretty sure she can add you to her YMCA membership for only $20 a month. Hope all that helps!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am constantly battling the bulge, so my husband and I switch our activities up to keep things interesting. Some that we have enjoyed include: playing Around the World or Horse at the basketball court, tennis, frisbee golf, regular golf, x country skiing, and Minnehaha Dog Park. In addition, we have a gym membership st LAFitness that is really affordable and completely worth having. The gym is a great place to track progress and push yourself without the risk of being far from home when it rains, etc.

    Also, tracking food is an amazing first step and should offer some motivation when weight starts coming off.
    I am trying to lose atleast 10 lbs myself right now, so I am appreciative of your blog. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a Y membership! Still fairly new though. I'll go with you! My favorite class at my old gym was kickboxing. I haven't tried the one at he Y yet though. Interested??

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Liz, I know this is an older post, but I just have to say that I feel the same currently as you did when you wrote this about the gym. I dread seeing the faces of most of the people as I walk in. Once I get my kids checked into kids club and get into doing cardio I feel much better. I'm there because I realize I have a problem and I'm trying to fix it. I weighed myself for the first time in a few months this week because I was so scared of what the scaled would say. I came in at 315 and signed up for weight watchers that same day. The next day we added our kids on to the membership for kids club so I would have no excuse not to go everyday (I can't find anyone to watch the kids or I can only go when you get home from work.... and so on). I have gone everyday since Thursday when we added them. I have already lost 5 pounds. I have so much farther to go but reading your blog has helped me stay motivated. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete